17 June 2010

Update

I've been working mostly on designs and concepts this week. I have one pattern for a modular design down, and I've been doing a fair bit of research on symbols. This particular design is comprised of a stylized grain pattern, crosses and stars, with meanders. It's just black and white for now as a design. I might do it on a brown egg, however, for more of an earthy feel- if I use it for the egg and the painting, that is. Maybe substitute dark green for the black. I'm not quite sure.

I've also been trying to think of how exactly I'm going to go about my concept. Whether it will be an egg and a painting with different designs to represent the same idea (ex. harvest vs mass-production-processed-food?), eggs and modular designs abstracted from the egg design, traditional eggs and modern designs or modern eggs and traditional designs in paintings. I'm thinking I'll probably just experiment with it, but I'm liking the first two ideas rather a lot.

I've been doing a fair bit of work for my internship in art, which is nice. I made a coloring page of a mural with permission from the copyright holder, and which took me about a week-and-a-half. [You should probably know that I loathe taking such a long time on projects. It's one of the things that's been driving me consistently crazy this summer, planning for next year.] I also learned the joys of trying to get exactly what you want from a printing service. Augh. They had to reprint twice; the first time, the image was about 8x4 (or possibly smaller- I didn't actually get to see the first printing as someone else picked it up) on 11x17 inch paper and the second time, it didn't have the title of the mural, the artist's name, or the museum's name. @_@ But I'm also working on other artsy things for the museum. Namely thaumatropes and other optical-illusion toys. Those I probably will be able to post pictures of, since they'd be my own designs rather than a derived work.

No comments:

Post a Comment